- Take a deep breath, calm your mind and body down. You can do this.
- Remove the pet from the area and any other pets and children
- Check to see how your pet is doing. Breathing normally? Is there vomiting? Diarrhea? Becoming lethargic? Inappropriate urination or thirst?
- Gather the following information
- What did the pet ingest (a wrapper can be helpful) can you tell if it was a tiger lily, Easter lily, peace lily etc.
- How much did the pet ingest? (one leaf, a petal, half the petals, what amount of water did the pet drink that the lily had been sitting in the container)
- Call a vet as soon as possible. Call your own vet. If after hours, call either of the emergency pet clinics below or the Pet Poison Helpline at 800-213-6680.
- You will need to be prepared to travel to your vet or nearest 24 hour Vet Hospital. The two 24 Hour Emergency Vets closest to Holly Springs are
Veterinary Specialty Hospital 6405 Tryon Road Cary, NC Phone number 919-233-4911
Animal Emergency Clinic of Cary 220 High House Road Cary, NC Phone number 919-462-8989
It helps to have the number and address of your vet and the emergency vet in your phone’s contact list. This will help you in calling the vet faster. If your phone can give driving directions to the contact this will help you in arriving sooner. The sooner a dog or cat can be seen and treated for ingested poison, the better and safer the outcome for the pet will be.